Last Updated on
I took some vacation time from work last week. I wanted to blitz the condo renovation and complete everything by the end of the weekend. Well, I almost made it… not quite. I did get TONS done. But am not quite ready to have the realtor come by and take photos yet. I guess it will be more after work nights to get this all done.
Here is what we accomplished:
We de-cluttered and took a lot of stuff to the trash bin, and the U-pak. Good work Greg, for tossing stuff in the trash. It’s definitely getting better. Still some stuff to box up, so the place doesn’t look cluttered. Gotta love the U-Pak option. They drop off your big wooden box, and you fill it up with your stuff. It’s pretty affordable too, only $89/month. It’s a great way to de-clutter for re-sale.
We rented a rug doctor carpet cleaner and cleaned the 3 remaining areas that have carpets. I’m not sure if the carpets have ever been cleaned. I had never cleaned carpets before, and was only cautiously optomistic. I thought that it wasn’t doing a very good job, until I realized that I was out of water, so was just really running a dry brush over the carpets. For some reason I thought it was re-cycling the water, which really would be kind of gross, actually. Once I loaded up with fresh hot soapy water – voila! Below is a photo of the carpet in the den, which we were going to replace with laminate, and decided to leave – so scary. This is what it looked like after the rug doctor carpet cleaner, did a pass. Wow!
I replaced all of the laminate flooring in the dining room and entryway. It looks really good. We used the super cheap $0 .97/sf stuff from home depot, and it looks great!
I also replaced all of the baseboards on the areas where the flooring was replaced. I’m not super skilled at this. I don’t think I got my cuts close enough, because I have a lot of joins that need caulking. The condo has all rounded corners, so there are a lot of seams. I am still working on completing this piece.
Check out my little helpers below 🙂 Note that I still need to complete the transition from the laminate to the carpet.
The bedroom is mostly staged. I have a few more finishing touches to do, and then it will be done. It turned out pretty fabulous. I will post separately to show you the finished product.
Here is a sneak peek…
Greg pulled out the hot water tank, in order to access the shower which needed repairing. And now he is going to replace the hot water tank as well. It’s almost 10 years old, plus its has rust, so now is the time to do it.
Here is what is still outstanding:
- Fix bathroom shower
- Replace hot water tank
- Finish transitions between carpet and floors
- Finish caulking baseboard
- Clean deck
- Add final staging elements and flowers
- Replace appliances (fridge is gone)
Granted, that may be a simplified version. But we are getting close!
Angus, who has lived at Greg’s condo for his entire life, has been learning how to live upstairs. He is teaching Sage all sorts of good things. Here she is showing us her new trick that he taught her.