Finally! I made it across the finish line of my condo reno project – Wohoo! From a project management perspective, I blew my timeline. I originally thought I could pull this reno off by Feb 28th, but that date came and went. and then March slipped by…Well, It’s May , and the condo is listed.
It was fun. Here is a quick reprisal of what I accomplished.
This was the largest part of the condo reno project. Here is the starting point
The counters were painted with Krylon Stone Texture Finish Spray Paint and coated and sealed with Envirotex lite epoxy. Greg replaced the sink and tap. The plastic covers on the cabinets just peeled off, and I painted those with Behr Frost on the uppers, and Behr Silver Bullet on the lowers. For some reason this really amused me, despite the fact that I don’t dink Coors Lite. I’m a Corona girl…A little free advertising here 🙂
A fresh coat of paint on the walls: Behr Graceful Grey, my favourite paint colour. New laminate floors: Shaded Oak. I tiled the backsplash. I could not convince Greg to swap out the appliances, except for the fridge, which was destroyed and we took to the dump. The one thing I did do, was to paint the top plastic piece of the stove, as it had yellowed substantially, and it looked terrible. For that matter so did the dishwasher, but it is not directly in view like the stove is.
In the living room, we didn’t do much renovating. Mostly just cleaning. Shampoo the carpets, wash the windows, scrub the blinds. freshen up the trim paint. And mostly de-cluttering and staging. Clean and tidy is key when selling.
The Bathroom and Den were also just a matter of cleaning, de-cluttering and staging. These are not the big selling features of the place. And I won’t include them here.
We upgraded the existing laminate floors which ran through the entry way and into the dining area. It was the beech variety and was dirty and showing gaps. We used the same Shaded Oak flooring that we did in the kitchen. For the dining room, I added a new area rug under the table, and cleaned and staged.
If you want to see how I did the counters click here. The Master Bedroom is my piece de resistance. I’m super happy with how this turned out.
My budget for this project was between $2000 – 3000. I spent just over $2200 for this whole renovation. Pretty cheap really. The value added was in the tens of thousands. We listed this on a Thursday and it was sold by following Tuesday for $22k over asking! That is 10x what I put into it!! You don’t need to spend a ton of money to make good money. Just use your money wisely. And anything that you can do yourself is money saved. Here is where the budget went:
- Tile for backsplash
- Stone Spray Paint and Envirotex for counters
- New Sink
- Kitchen Faucet
- Steam cleaning (rental)
- Coffee table (IKEA)
- Dishes (IKEA)
- Wine glasses (IKEA)
A lot of the item that I used to stage this condo were from my condo. So you can always borrow things to stage the place for your photos. In this case there was only about 5 days that the property was listed.
Now that the condo is sold!!! the next step is packing and getting my place ready to sell. And SHOPPING for our new home!!!!!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. You don’t pay more, I just may make a small commission. See here for my full disclosure page. Thanks for helping us pay the blog bills 🙂